Frequently Asked Questions
- I wrote a book. I want you to stock it. I want to do a reading at Charis. What do I do? Thank you for your interest in reading at Charis. We are glad you found us. In order for you to host an event in our store that we will sponsor and publicize through Charis Circle, our programming non-profit, we need to first agree to carry your book in our store. Please send Sara@charisbooksandmore.com a succinct email--and in the body of the email-- say what the book is about and why you think it is a good fit for our feminist bookstore. In your email, please tell her how your book is distributed. What this means is we need to know if your book is published by a major publisher, if it is an academic press book, or if you self-published it and are either distributing it yourself or via a major distributor like Ingram (and if it is sold with a regular discount and returnable). A friendly word of advice, Amazon.com is not an independent distributor, they are our competition and we will frown at you if you suggest we can just "buy your book on Amazon." Once Sara has established that your book is a good fit, she will either order it from the distributor or publisher or will suggest a consignment arrangement. We generally only do consignment from local authors.
- I am local to Atlanta and I self-published my book. Can I read at Charis? Yes! We are happy to work with local self-published authors whose books fit our general mission. For local authors we offer a standard 60/40 consignment deal where the author sets the price of the book and gets 60% of the sale and we keep 40% of the sale and pay the sales tax on the book. We sign a contact either for 90 days (renewable) or on a per event basis and we pay you for sold books within approximately 30 days of the end of the consignment period.
- So my book is in your store. Now what? Now we get you on the calendar for a signing, as a feature for our monthly open mic (especially good if you are a poet or more experimental fiction writer), or set you up for a stand alone event if you have a skill to teach or can present your material in a more workshop style format. Elizabeth@chariscircle.org handles booking of all events. We generally book 2 months out but things can occasionally be squeezed in. We don't pay performers but we will gladly work with you by splitting the suggested donation at the door or suggesting other gigs in conjunction with Charis that might help pay for travel, etc if you aren't local.
- I don't have a book but I have a skill, idea, etc, that I want to share at Charis. Is that okay? Yes! You don't have to be a published author or have a CD or a degree to share your knowledge at Charis. Send Elizabeth@chariscircle.org an idea of what you might like to do and she can help shape it into a talk. Keep in mind that all of our events tend to run no more than 2 hours so your idea needs to be manageable or a multi part series.
- Now my program is booked I am so excited. What should I do? Invite your friends, co-workers, and fans. Share the event on social media and in your various communities. Remember us when you are rich and famous. Tell everyone you got your start at Charis. :)
- I want to rent Charis for a private event/party/wedding. Do y'all do that? Yes, we gladly rent space for all kinds of community and social events. The rate varies depending on the style of event and the need but our community partner rates begin as low as $25 an hour for a two hour minimum rental. If you are interested in renting Charis please email Elizabeth@chariscircle.org for more details. (Rentals usually require at least 1 1/2 months notice).