- Charis Circle
- Ongoing Program Series
- Donate to Charis Circle
- Help Charis Circle with your Kroger Rewards Card
- Charis Circle Board of Directors
- Charis Circle Staff
- Mission and Vision
Puppet Types and Providers: Extending Puppet with Ruby (Paperback)
Usually Ships in 1-5 Days
Puppet's true power exists in the simple resource model it uses to manage the state of complex operating systems. This concise guide shows you how to extend that model and implement custom functionality on top of Puppet by working with the type and provider APIs.
Two experts from Puppet Labs explain the concepts behind these APIs, and provide instructions and examples to help you write your own fully functional types and providers. You ll also delve into Puppet's source code to get a better understanding of how types and providers are implemented internally. If you re familiar with basic Puppet concepts, you re ready to get started.
- Learn the fundamental concepts behind resources, and become familiar with the structure of Puppet's Resource Model
- Discover how the type API is used to create new resource types that Puppet can manage
- Understand how providers interact with the system to achieve the desired state of a declared resource
- Explore advanced features to get a more complete understanding of how Puppet works
- Simplify the troubleshooting process when developing types and providers
About the Author
Dan Bode has worked in the technology industry as a consultant and software developer for the past decade. He has spent most of the last 4 years building infrastructure automation solutions and teaching people how to use Puppet. He currently works in the Business Development at PuppetLabs where he spends his time researching technologies and integrating them with Puppet.Nan is Business Development Engineer at Puppet Labs who provides Puppet integration solutions for third party partners. Prior to BD, he's part Puppet Labs professional service team who travels globally to train users of Puppet and provide implementation and architectural consulting for Puppet Labs customers worldwide.